One gets the feeling of having “made it” in La Quinta, which has built a reputation for itself as a playground of the rich and famous. But look beyond the glitz and glamour and you’ll find a close-knit community with a strong identity and a taste for the finer things in life.
With an estimated population of 42,329, the “Gem of the Desert” spans roughly 36 miles. The temperate climate and enviable location in scenic Coachella Valley make it a wonderful place to live.
La Quinta has mastered the art of casual elegance. A certain kind of sophistication can be seen in the manicured lawns, sidewalk cafés, and upscale boutiques throughout the city.
If the city can be summed up in two words, it would be “desert chic”. This refined aesthetic is evident in the palm tree-lined streets, gleaming ponds, and Spanish Revival-style architecture that can be seen everywhere in this desert getaway.
Located within the Cathedral City-Palm Desert CCD of Riverside County, the city is surrounded by the Santa Monica Mountains. Wedged between the neighboring cities of Indio and Indian Wells, La Quinta is roughly 16 miles from Palm Springs International Airport.
As a resort city and top golf destination, famous landmarks include:
- PGA West Private Clubhouse & Golf Course
- Old Town La Quinta
- La Quinta Resort & Club
- Fred Wolff Nature Preserve
The city is located about 17 miles from Palm Springs and about 115 miles from Los Angeles.
- La Quinta means “fifth” and “country house” in Spanish.
- It consistently ranks among the best places for golf with over 25 golf courses within city limits.
- The city is home to the esteemed La Quinta Art Festival.
Once home to the Desert Cahuilla Native Americans, La Quinta incorporated in 1982, taking its name from La Quinta Resort, which was founded in 1926 and served as the community’s social and commercial hub.
It developed a reputation for being a resort city as L.A. residents began making frequent trips to Coachella Valley with the arrival of scheduled train rides from the City of Angels to Indio in 1876.
Today, it is one of the most coveted addresses in the Valley, with the resort lifestyle to match. Those who live here have access to world-class shopping and dining in Highway 111, Washington Street, and Old Town Village where there is a high concentration of boutiques, restaurants, hotels, and cultural venues.
La Quinta Homes for Sale
La Quinta is synonymous with luxury. Here you’ll find massive single-family homes and condos with stunning mountain, valley, and golf course views. Many of these homes are situated on oversized lots with professional landscaping and outdoor amenities like swimming pools, patios, and BBQ areas.
Popular architectural styles include Spanish Revival, Mediterranean, Tuscan, and Contemporary.
As one of the most desirable places to live in California, buyers are willing to pay a premium for a slice of La Quinta real estate.
While most individuals acquire La Quinta luxury homes to be used as a permanent residence, a growing number of seasonal residents, or “snowbirds” as they’re affectionately called by locals, are buying vacation homes in the area to escape the brutal winters in their home states or have a suitable place to stay when traveling to Coachella Valley for business or leisure.
Notable golf communities and clubs to check out in La Quinta include:
- The Quarry Golf Club La Quinta boasts of an 18-hole championship golf course designed by Tom Fazio as well as a fitness center, restaurant, wine club, and on-site cottages. The homes in this community offer views of the mountains, valley, golf course, and city skyline.
- Andalusia Country Club at Coral Mountain La Quinta offers access to a Rees Jones-designed golf course in addition to a swimming pool, tennis court, and fitness center. As the name suggests, this exclusive community and its facilities were inspired by the sun-drenched Andalusia region of Spain. The development will have over 900 magnificent homes and extensive biking and walking trails upon completion.
- The Hideaway Golf Club La Quinta provides 36 holes of championship golf courtesy of architects Pete Dye and Clive Clark. Residents also have access to an outdoor pool, wine cellar, fitness center, tennis courts, and spa and salon. Buyers can choose from 378 custom-built homes, 45 golf villas, and 23 bungalows with Spanish Colonial Revival architecture.
Other exclusive gated communities near La Quinta include:
- Thunderbird Heights Palm Springs was founded in the 1950s and offers a mix of older and new construction estate-style homes that cater to golf enthusiasts. The gated community’s unique hillside setting also appeals to buyers who value their privacy. Residents have access to Palm Springs’s famed luxury resorts and other first-rate amenities.
- The Madison Club at La Quinta/Palm Desert offers an exclusive selection of custom-built homes, homesites, villas, and clubhouse suites. This gated community features a Tom Fazio-design golf course and fitness center.
Experience luxury living in La Quinta’s communities
- Golf – A renowned golf destination, La Quinta brings you 25 golf courses with manicured greens, wide fairways, and gleaming ponds for a game you won’t forget.
- Health and fitness – La Quinta puts a focus on health and wellness as evidenced by state-of-the-art fitness centers, gyms, and yoga studios throughout the city.
- Spa and massage services – Get pampered at any of the luxury spas offering the latest skin treatments and massage services in La Quinta.
- Resort life – Built around La Quinta Resort, the city is famed for the resort lifestyle that places an emphasis on leisure, recreation, and relaxation.
- Fine dining – La Quinta offers a selection of fine dining restaurants that serve the best of French, Italian, Spanish, and Pan-Asian cuisine.
If you’re ready to explore La Quinta, CA, get in touch with Jason Weiss of The Luxury Desert today. As one of the most in-demand luxury real estate agents in the Coachella Valley, Jason has closed over $1 billion in sales. He brings you “real estate, refined” to make the home search faster and easier.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.